Altarpieces and paintings
Fregona stands out for its historical-artistic heritage, sometimes characterized by exciting presences such as the famous “San Giorgio Altarpiece“, painted by Francesco da Milano in 1529, now in the parish church of Osigo, or the “Crocefisso e le Anime del Purgatorio” by Sebastiano Ricci in the archpriest church of Fregona, which also keeps sculptures by Canova‘s master, Giuseppe Bernardi Torretti , as well as two paintings from the Tiziano’s workshop and a large fresco in the ceiling of the venetian G.C .Bevilacqua, dated 1826.
Like the “Communion of the Apostles“, a painting depicting Christ behind a table in the act of offering a piece of bread to the Apostles, painted by local painter Francesco Da Re, known above all for having decorated as fresco, in 1718, the bedroom and the stations of the Cross of San Francesco’s da Paola Sanctuary, in Revine.
Relegated in the sacristy, the painting comes from the old archpriest church at the foot of the hill of San Pietro which was demolished, after the construction of the present church began in 1797.
Bell Tower of Fregona
Another work of immense value for Fregona , also because it was built entirely from the local population, is the Bell Tower of Fregona..
Started in 1881 on a project by the master builder Ciprian Francesco , the Bell Tower was brought to the present height of sixty meters in 1909; lacks the cusp which should have soars over the spires of the tower above the bell cell.
It makes to admire, besides its mole mighty in neo gothic, for more than 300 steps of the staircase, the elegant balustrades, for the four lateral pinnacles, for the eight gargoyles in the form of a head of the dragon and the lion, but especially for the decorations with acanthus leaves in the capitals of the columns paired of said cell.
This bell tower, unmistakable symbol of the panorama at the foot of the Cansiglio, is a testimony of the industriousness and remarkable mastery of the Breda stonemasons that from the “dolce” stone of Caglieron and from the “turchina” stone of the Masarè quarries were able to pull out a valuable material from construction.
But its territory is also marked by numerous manor villas, a decentralised expression of Venice’s domination; in particular the seventeenth-century Villa Trojer Lucheschi De Mori Salvador, which is admired for the elegance and harmony of rhythms that distinguishes it, but also Villa Altan-Pacetti in the Fratte locality, those of the Todesco-Salvador alle Buse, the Laurenti in Danese, Giustiniani in Borgo Piazza, Casoni in Borgo Coilsola and Carnielutti in Osigo, subject to recent restoration.
Of interest also the historical centers, like that of Sonego, with houses with its own characteristic of the exposed stones.