Lo Spiedo – The Spit a traditional agri-foodstuffs
His majesty the “Spiedo” the Spit meat , a specialty of the piedmont cuisine, is officially part of the traditional agri-food products , and is included in the special list prepared by the Ministry of Food Policies. The so-called ‘traditional products’ are agri-food products whose processing methods are consolidated over time, homogeneous for the whole territory concerned, according to traditional rules. They are among the typical products and are the subject of particular attention by local, regional, national and European Union governments.
The “Spiedo” stands in the Veneto regional traditional food ,alongside with the Sopressa Trevigiana (typical salami), the Potato of the Quartier del Piave and the Marroni of Combai (chesternuts).
In Fregona, some restaurants offer menus based on “spit”, but it should be noted that this tradition is very much felt even at the family level and therefore, in the houses that have the “larin” (the name is taken from Veneto dialect and mean the fireplace of the house) , the “spit” is an occasion of warm and serene conviviality.
In other words, the” Spit” in Fregona is the dish for feast days.
The “experts” of the country offer during the celebrations, in particular the country festivals of Fregona, Osigo and Sonego, this traditional dish cooked with the help of large spits.
The Academy of Spit of Alta Marca
In order to promote the Spiedo dell’ Alta Marca and deepen its historical links with the territory is founded the Academy of Spit of Alta Marca, whose current president is Leonardo Ricci, succeeded to Prof. Danilo Gasparini.
The “Spiedo” Disciplinary of Alta Marca – Certified Traditional Product
1 – Meats from Veneto region
- Pork: ribs, ossocollo (coppa = neck’s meat), fondello or “stracùl” (similar to “culatello”)
- Courtyard animals: guinea-fowl, rabbit, capon
- Birds: quails and others birds as tradition
- Kid, lamb
2 – Preparation of the meat
- Cut of meat in pieces
- Recommended size: 120 grams approx.
3 – Lardelle (lardèe) – lard
- It is used either salted lard and uncut in convenient measure
4 – Cooking Time
- In general from 5 to 6 hours (the first hours at moderate fire) and in any case all the time necessary for each variety of meat reaches the typical color of cooking.
5 – Wood
- From essences not resinous, for example hornbeam and beech dry, typical of our hilly woods and the foothills of the alps.
6 – Flavorings’
- Little leaves of local sage, without petioles; rosemary can be used either.
7 – Salting and additions
- Fine cooking salt, half cooked onwards
- Authorized additions: pepper, extra virgin olive oil or seeds oil, wine
- Is not recommended for use the “Golosa’s” grevy
8 – Precòt
Made from lard wrapped and lighted in straw paper with which it gives a “blow” of fire to meat that turn on the spit.
- Optional technique
9 – Table service
- The meat must be served hot and crisp.
- The side dishes (cooked herbs, beans, radicchio, potatoes) must be served separately.
- You should not miss the polenta, preferably of white flour.
- Wine: in the tradition we used the Prosecco of our hills, but a glass of red is also good
For more information on the Accademia dello Spiedo d’Alta Marca visit the website www.venetando.it