The existence of particularly favourable conditions for the settlements, such as the sunny position, the ease of water supplies and, last but not least, the possibility of defence from any external dangers, allows us to confidently affirm that Fregona was still inhabited in Roman times, as in fact confirmed by the discovery of three axes with small wings, referable to the Iron Age.
The Roman presence, in addition to the numerous toponyms of Latin derivation, is testified by the coins of the emperors Tiberius and Maximin the Thrace; the latter was found at the foot of the tower of Nastego in the village of Fratte, also reported in the maps as the tower of Matrucco. According to the most accredited hypothesis, even the name Fregona derives from the Latin word “frigus”, cold, and in particular from the expression “frigonia tellus”, that is land of the Friga which, with the Carron, is its most important stream.
In the feudal age, Fregona belonged first to the Bishop-Count of Belluno, then to the Lordship of the Caminesi of Lombard lineage, who had their own castle in the village of Piai. From the castle nothing left but remains a heap of ruins, from where a precious safe was unearthed in 1500, reinforced by iron sheets, which is now kept in the archpriest.